Recipe: Pork and Pepper Casserole
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 19:46 Written by ethel :
- 1 lb--4 cups of lean pork cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil for frying
- 1 onion diced into large chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 1 inch of fresh root ginger chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 10 fl ozs--300 ml of chicken stock--cube or homemade
- 8 oz--1 cup of tinned pineapple chopped into chunks. If you have fresh pineapple use that.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 red pepper seeds removed and sliced
- 1 green pepper seeds removed and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 5 spring onions washed and sliced to garnish
- Toss the pork in the flour inside a plastic bag
- Put half the oil in a frying pan, heat and fry the onion garlic and ginger on a medium heat, watch that the garlic does not burn for about 5 minutes.
- Put these into the oven proof casserole dish.
- Add more oil to the frying pan and fry the pork till it is brown on all sides add to the casserole dish.
- Add all the other ingredients to the casserole dish and stir well.
- The stock should come to the surface of the casserole. If it seems a bit dry add a spot more stock.
- I covered the casserole with foil and put on the lid. I use a cast iron casserole by le creusot.
- I cooked for 2 ½ hours at gas 5, 190C,375F in the middle of the oven.
- When cooked check the taste and add salt and ground pepper to taste.