Recipe: Simple pork, tomato and sweet pepper risotto
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 17:34 Written by ethel :
- 300gms Arborio (or risotto) rice
- 1 large onion (chopped half centimetre cubes)
- 500ml-900ml of hot stock (I used 3 tsp of Marigold stock powder to 900ml of water)
- 2-3 tbls of olive oil
- 1 fat clove of garlic (crushed and chopped fine)
- 2 sun dried tomato pieces 3-4 cm long, chopped fine
- Herbs to taste (we used two large pinches of our strong, dried Italian herbs)
- 1 green Marmara pepper (sliced fine)
- Half a red bell pepper (sliced very fine)
- 8-10 sweet cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- Cubed meat from 3 cold chops from a rack (these are smaller than an ordinary pork chop). Our half rack produced two handfuls of meat.
- Large slosh of dry white wine
- Chopped fresh herbs to garnish
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan to garnish
- Over a low heat add the chopped onions to the olive oil and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and another tablespoonful of oil if the mixture seems a bit dry. Toss the rice in the onion and oil mix until all the grains are coated.
- Add the garlic. Add 250ml of stock and stir to absorb. Add the sun dried tomatoes and herbs.
- Keep on adding the stock and stirring, letting the rice absorb the moisture.
- After ten minutes add the peppers and tomatoes. Stir well and every now and then check the moisture and top up with stock as necessary.
- When the rice has softened but still has a bite (20 mins approx) remove from the heat.
- Add the wine (optional) and the pork and stir the meat well into the risotto.
- Put the lid on and leave for five minutes.
- Scatter with a dessertspoon of fresh herbs (parsley ideally) and parmesan.