Recipe: Sausages braised in cider
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 18:12 Written by ethel :
- 450g pork sausages
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200g lean streaky bacon in one piece, cut into cubes (or 200g pack of lardons)
- 225g small button onions, peeled
- 1 heaped tsp plain flour
- 275ml dry cider
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- seasoningTo garnish
- 1 Cox’s apple, cored and cut into rings (no need to peel it)
- a little butter
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Take a large flameproof casserole and heat the oil in it and brown the sausages all round.
- Then, using a slotted spoon, remove them to a plate while you brown the bacon cubes and onions lightly.
- When they are done, sprinkle in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually stir in the cider.
- Now pop the sausages back in, plus the garlic, bayleaf and thyme and a little seasoning; put a lid on when it all comes to simmering point and then transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes is up, remove the lid and cook for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Before serving, fry the apple rings in butter until soft, and garnish the casserole with them.
- This is lovely served with spicy red cabbage.