Recipe: Spaetzle with Mushrooms
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Monday, 07 January 2013 19:46 Written by ethel :
- 4 portions of Spaetzle, cooked as per packet
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 4 pork chops or schnitzels
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the onions in a skillet until well softened. Set aside.
- Add more butter and oil if needed and fry the cooked spaetzle until slightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan to a serving platter and set aside while you cook the mushrooms.
- Set the skillet back over high heat and add a little more olive oil and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the thyme, mushrooms and garlic and saute until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cream and mustard and stir well.
- Reduce the mixture until the sauce is nice and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in the spaetzle.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with chives and serve with pork schnitzel or chops.