Recipe: Left-over pork stew - caribbean style
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Monday, 25 November 2013 20:03 Written by Super User :
- 1 olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons spicy jerk paste - see below
- 3 mixed peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes
- 300g cooked roast pork, cut into bite-size pieces
- 100g bag young leaf spinach
- 14g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 300g basmati rice
- 1 tin red kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 200g soy beans , defrosted
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 or 10 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the jerk paste, peppers and carrots and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk along with the chopped tomatoes and pork.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and half of the parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to pack instructions, then stir in the kidney and soy beans and the remaining parsley.
- Serve the rice with the pork stew.
For the jerk seasoning
- 2 hot chiliies
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 or 4 spring onions, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Blend ingredients in a food processor or grind into a paste. Refrigerate unused portions.
Started life as a Sainsbury recipe but I didn't have all the ingredients... this is what I did.... very nice it was too!