Recipe: Chinese Belly Pork
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Thursday, 05 June 2014 19:13 Written by Super User :
- 450g belly pork, including the skin
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 level dessertspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 whole Star Anise
- 5cm piece Cinnamon Stick, broken into shreds
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing Rice Wine
For the steamed greens:
- 280g Tender Green Beans or 100g broccoli tips
- 75g leeks
- 2 salad onions
- 100g savoy cabbage
- First of all prepare the pork. What you need to do is cut it into 2.5cm cubes, making quite sure that each piece still has the skin attached.
- Now arrange the pieces of pork, skin side down, in the flameproof casserole and sprinkle them with the soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of water. Next add the chopped ginger, sprinkling it all around, popping in the star anise and the cinnamon as well.
- Turn on the heat and as soon as the juices start to simmer cover and turn the heat to a low setting and cook the pork gently for 45 minutes.
- After that turn the pieces of pork over, sprinkle in the sugar and the shaoxing rice wine, then cover again and continue to cook very slowly for a further 45 minutes turning it over once or twice more during that time.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, put a pan of water on to boil.
- Then prep the vegetables. Cut the broccoli, just below the flowery top and split any larger tips into two, then cut the stem into thin diagonal slices.
- The cabbage needs to be de-stalked and sliced into ribbons about 1cm by 8cm and the leek halved lengthways, cleaned and cut into diagonal slices.
- Then slice the white part of the spring onion and cut the tender green part into matchsticks.
- Now toss the vegetables together with a little salt and steam over the boiling water for about 4–5 minutes (depending on how you like them) until the thickest part to the broccoli stalk feels tender when a skewer is inserted.
- Serve the steamed vegetables on top of steamed fragrant rice and the pork with its cooking juices spooned over.