Recipe: Leftover Pork Stew
- Details Category: Pork Based Published on Monday, 06 October 2014 19:22 Written by ethel :
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 175g pearl barley
- 1 litre hot chicken stock, made with 1 chicken stock cube
- 390g carton Italian chopped tomatoes
- 300g leftover roast pork, shredded
- 200g leftover broccoli (or any leftover green vegetables)
- 3 tbsp fresh sage, washed and chopped, plus a few extra leaves to garnish
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and leeks for 10 minutes. Add the squash and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the pearl barley, chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the pork, broccoli and chopped sage and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve garnished with sage.