Recipe: Meatloaf – American Style
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 12:14 Written by ethel :
- 1 lb (450 g) minced beef
- 1 lb (450 g) minced pork
- 2 medium onions, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 heaped tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 level dessertspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz (75 g) white bread, sliced and crusts removed, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1½ rounded teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 fl oz (110 ml) dry white wine
- about 8 slices (6 oz/175 g) traditional smoked streaky bacon
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
- Place the bread in a little bowl, spoon the milk over, then mix it with your hands or a fork until the bread has broken down to fine crumbs.
- Mix everything thoroughly in a large bowl.
- When the mixture is ready, pack it into the loaf tin.
- Now place a piece of foil over the top and twist or pleat the corners.
- Stand the tin in a shallow baking tin, pour about 1½ inches (4 cm) boiling water into the tin straight from the kettle and place the whole thing on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Let it cook slowly for 2 hours.
- After that remove the foil and dig a skewer into the meatloaf; press it down to make sure that the juices are running clear.
- Now, if it's cooked, remove it from the oven then let it cool for about 30 minutes
- If you're serving it cold, replace the foil and place something heavy on top to weight it down. Leave it weighted like this until it's completely cold.