Recipe: Silverside Pot Roast - Slow
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 19:01 Written by ethel :
Serves 6 : Cooking time 4 ½ hours and 30 minutes to rest = eat 5 hours after starting to cook.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2.5kg (5lb) silverside of beef
- 2 red onions, cut into thin wedges
- 8 small carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole head garlic, unpeeled and sliced horizontally
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 7-8 sprigs thyme
- 1tsp whole peppercorns
- 250ml (8fl oz) beef stock
- 150ml (5fl oz) red wine
- 1 desert spoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 desert spoon horseradish sauce
- Heat the oven to 150C (gas mark 2).
- Heat half the oil in a large, heavy flameproof casserole or frying pan.
- Season the beef with a little salt and pepper, then sear on all sides until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the onions, carrots and celery, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the garlic, ginger, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, stock and wine.
- The liquid should be about 1.5cm (5/8in) deep. Spread the mustard and horseradish thinly over the top of the beef.
- Return the pan to the heat and bring the contents slowly to the boil, then cover it tightly with the lid and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for about 4 hours, turning the meat 2-3 times during cooking.
- About 20 minutes before the meat is ready, increase the oven temperature to 220°C (gas mark 7) and remove the casserole lid.
- When cooked, transfer the meat, carrots and garlic to a large platter and strain the liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, using the back of a wooden spoon to press the vegetables through.
- Reduce the sauce a little if needed and season to taste.
- Serve the beef in large slices with the carrots and sauce.