Recipe: Authentic Bolognese with Tagliatelle
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Monday, 10 December 2012 19:57 Written by ethel :
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 rashers of streaky 'pancetta' bacon, chopped
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Stick of celery
- 1 large glass of red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- dried tagliatelle
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry the bacon until golden over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, frying until softened.
- Increase the heat and add the minced beef. Fry it until it has browned.
- Pour in the wine and boil until it has reduced in volume by about a third.
- Reduce the temperature and stir in the tomatoes and celery.
- Cover with a lid and simmer over a gentle heat for 1-1½ hours until it's rich and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the tagliatelle in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain and divide between plates.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan over the pasta before adding a good ladleful of the sauce.
- Finish with a further scattering of cheese and a twist of black pepper.