Recipe: Pepper sauce for steak
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Sunday, 13 January 2013 19:31 Written by ethel :
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100ml red wine
- 1-4 anchovies (mashed)
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 100ml cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves (chopped)
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy-based pan until nut-brown in colour. Fry steaks over medium heat for 2-3 minutes each side or until cooked as desired (2 minutes per side for rare, 3 minutes for medium, 4 minutes for well done). Remove from pan and rest in a warm place.
- Add 100ml red wine to pan with 1-4 mashed anchovies to taste and the peppercorns.
- Stir over a medium heat, scraping the residue from the base. Check seasoning.
- When pan juices are slightly reduced by half add mustard and cream and bring to a high simmer.
- Pour sauce over the steaks and scatter 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves on top.