Recipe: Braised Silverside of Beef
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Friday, 29 June 2012 19:46 Written by ethel :
Meat can be braised on top of the cooker in a solid based pan or in a casserole in the oven set at 170°C (325°F) gas mark 3. The container must have a tightly fitting lid.
- 1.6 kg (3 1/2 lb) topside, silverside (beefcut from the rump) or rolled rib of beef, in a piece
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fat or oil
- 3-4 onions, skinned and sliced
- 3-4 carrots, pared and left whole or sliced
- 1 small turnip, pared and quartered
- 1 - 2 sticks celery, trimmed and sliced
- 1 parsnip, pared and quartered
- 2-3 bacon rinds
- 1 bayleaf
- few parsley stalks
- 3 to 4 peppercorns
- Season the meat well on all sides and fry in the hot fat or oil until lightly browned all over.
- Remove it and fry the vegetables and bacon rinds in the same fat or oil until lightly browned. Pour off the excess fat.
- Add the bayleaf, parsley stalks and peppercorns, more seasoning and water to come about three-quarters up the vegetables. Put the meat on to the bed of vegetables, cover with a lid and simmer until the meat is tender. Allow about 2 hours for meat up to 1.4 kg (3 lb) and 25 minutes per 450g (1 lb) plus 25 minutes for larger pieces.
- Baste 2 or 3 times during the cooking.
- Remove the lid and turn the oven up to 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 1/2 hour until the meat is brown.
- Serve sliced, with a gravy made from the cooking liquid left clear or thickened with a little blended flour or cornflour, 10 ml (2 level tsps) to 300 ml (1 pt) liquid.