Recipe: British Braised Beef
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Friday, 29 June 2012 19:52 Written by ethel :
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) rolled topside
- 2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
- 1 pinch of ground bay leaves (optional)
- 1 pinch of paprika (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 oz (225 g) carrots, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz (225 g) onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml water
- 1 teaspoon made English mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3.
- Heat a flameproof casserole (just large enough to hold the beef) until very hot. Rub the beef with the flour, which can have a pinch each of ground bay leaves and paprika in it. Pour the oil into the hot casserole and brown the beef quickly on all sides over a medium heat, then take the beef out and set aside.
- Brown the carrots and onions for 1 minute in the oil. Place the beef on top, stir the water and mustard together and pour over. Season well, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until tender.
- Serve sliced with the juices and vegetables pureed together (for a sophisticated version) or as they come for a little rustic vigour.