Recipe: Chinese crispy beef stir fry
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Thursday, 03 April 2014 20:53 Written by Super User :
- 200g lean beef steak
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 small leek, trimmed
- 6 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 100g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- soy sauce to serve
- Cut the meat, across the grain, into 5cm wide pieces, and then cut each piece into wafer-thin strips.
- Place in a small bowl with the cornflour and five-spice powder. Mix together well to coat the meat.
- Cut the carrot and leek into 5cm lengths, then cut each piece into fine matchsticks.
- Put all the prepared vegetables together in a bowl.
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of lightly salted, boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water, then drain again.
- Make the soy sauce mixture by combining the soy sauce, sherry and 2 tbsp water in a small jug or bowl.
- Place a wok or a large frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp of the oil, then when it is just smoking, toss in the meat and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove with a draining spoon.
- Add the remaining oil with the garlic, ginger and chilli.
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the vegetables and toss these around for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture and as soon as the liquid is bubbling, mix in the drained noodles and finally the meat.
- Serve immediately, with extra soy sauce to sprinkle.