Recipe: Beef Lasagne
- Details Category: Beef Based Published on Tuesday, 13 May 2014 19:49 Written by Super User :
For the ragout
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ red pepper, cored, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g lean minced beef
- ½ tsp mixed freeze dried herbs
- 1 X 400g tin chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 glass red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g butter
- 40g flour
- 460 ml milk
- A generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- 50g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 25g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 9 sheets fresh or no-pre-cook lasagne
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/275F/Gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper until softened.
- Add the beef and the herbs and sauté until the beef has changed colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- to prepare the cheese sauce, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, bring to the boil and whisk until thickened and smooth.
- Season with nutmeg and a little salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated Gruyere cheese until melted.
To assemble the lasagne
- spoon a little of the meat sauce on to the base of an ovenproof dish 28 X 17 X 7 cm (11 X 6 ½ X 2 /4 in).
- Cover with three sheets of lasagne.
- Divide the remaining meat sauce in half and cover the lasagne with half of the sauce.
- Spoon over a little of the cheese sauce.
- Cover with three more sheets of lasagne and cover with the remaining meat sauce.
- Again spoon over a little of the cheese sauce but make sure that enough remains to completely cover the top of the lasagne.
- Arrange the remaining sheets of lasagne on top and then spread over the remaining cheese sauce so that the lasagne is completely covered.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over and cook in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.