Recipe: Beef curry - Massaman Beef Curry
- Details Category: Beef Based Curry Published on Thursday, 29 November 2012 18:50 Written by ethel :
- 1kg diced beef stewing steak
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 500g small potatoes, halved
- 250g small onions, halved
- 5 tablespoons massaman paste (see recipe below)
- 2 (400ml) tins coconut cream
- 160ml hot water
- 50g dark brown soft sugar
For the Massaman sauce
- Thumb-sized piece of Ginger,peeled and roughly sliced
- 4 small red chillies or to taste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 spring onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped lemon grass - could tamarin paste be used?
- 2 teaspoons groundnut oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 2 tablespoons tamarind water
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- To make the massaman paste: Process all the ingredients in a liquidiser or food processor. If it's too dry, add a little water to make a paste. Use in this recipe, store any remainder in the refrigerator for upto 3 weeks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown steak in batches. Remove from pan.
- Add the potatoes and onion to same saucepan and stir until lightly browned. Add 5 tablespoons curry paste and stir over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut cream, steak, water and sugar. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes, uncovered or until the meat is tender.