Recipe: Mince Curry
- Details Category: Beef Based Curry Published on Tuesday, 04 March 2014 19:27 Written by Super User :
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 175ml (6 fl oz) water, divided
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 250g (9 oz) beef mince
- 1 (400g) tin black-eyed beans, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- handful chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped green chilli
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion, and sauté until light golden, then throw in the garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Put in 1/3 of the water and tomato, then season with salt, chilli powder, cumin and turmeric.
- Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook for at least 10 minutes, adding another 1/3 of the water when it gets dry.
- When the beef mixture is dry, pour in the black-eyed beans.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining water, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until all of the water has cooked down, and you can see the oil.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the garam masala.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the lemon juice, coriander and green chillies over the top.