Recipe: Thai Beef Curry
- Details Category: Beef Based Curry Published on Friday, 28 March 2014 19:15 Written by Super User :
- 2-3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 500g casserole beef, cut into large chunks
- large bunch coriander
- 2 lemongrass stalks, 1 bashed, 1 roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 round teaspoon salt
- 1 small bunch of spring onions
- 1-2 green chillies, roughly chopped, deseeded if you like
- 1 thumb-sized piece galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
- 50ml rice wine vinegar
- 50ml fish sauce
- 1 heaped desertspoon palm or light brown sugar
- 400g can coconut milk
- 2 star anise
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- juice 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- Heat a little of the oil in a large pan and brown the beef in batches, removing to a plate after, reserving any juices.
- Meanwhile, in a mini chopper or food processor, whizz half the coriander, the chopped lemongrass, garlic, chillies, spring onion, salt and galangal with the rest of the oil until you have a rough paste.
- Add the paste to a frying pan and cook for a few mins, then add the beef and all the remaining ingredients, apart from the remaining coriander and lime juice.
- Make sure there is enough liquid and simmer for 3 hours or until the meat is cooked.
- If the sauce is too thin, strain it off and boil it to reduce.
- Stir in the remaining coriander and lime juice, then season with more fish sauce or sugar or salt as needed.