Recipe: Curry Sauce
- Details Category: Chicken Based Curry Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 00:12 Written by ethel :
by Jamie Oliver from the Naked Chef
- 75ml/5tbsp vegetable oil
- 10g/2tsp mustard seeds
- 5g/1tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 fresh green chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 handful curry leaves
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 onions, peeled and quarteredi>
- about 3 largish carrots peeled
- 5g/1tsp chilli powder
- 5g/1tsp turmeric
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1x400ml/14floz tin coconut milk
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into 1cm/ ½ in strips
- 15g/1tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- Heat the oil in a pan, and when hot add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to pop,
- then add the fenugreek seeds, fresh green chillies, curry leaves and ginger, stir and fry for a few minutes.
- Using a food processor, chop the onions and carrots and add to the same pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until the onion is light brown and soft,
- then add the chilli powder and turmeric.
- Using the same food processor, pulse the tomatoes and add these to the pan.
- Cook for a couple of minutes then add one or two wineglasses of water and the coconut milk.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes until it has the consistency of double cream, then season carefully with salt.
- Take this sauce as a base.
- For the chicken version, stir-fry the chicken strips and coriander seeds until lightly coloured, then add to your sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.