Recipe: Philipino Chicken Adobo with Coconut Sauce
- Details Category: Chicken Based Curry Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 18:32 Written by ethel :
Also called ADOBONG MANOK
- 1 x 1.5 kg (3 lb) roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- few annatto seeds for colouring
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- oil for frying
- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- Cut chicken into serving pieces, separating drumsticks from thighs and cutting breast into four.
- Put into a medium saucepan. Add garlic to pan with vinegar, water, salt, bay leaf, peppercorns and annatto seeds. Liquid should be enough to almost cover the chicken.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer very gently 25 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer about 10 minutes longer. Chicken should be tender but not falling off the bones.
- Remove chicken pieces from pan, raise heat, and boil quickly until liquid is thickened and reduced to about 1½ cups. Strain into a small bowl and refrigerate briefly.
- Take as much fat as possible off sauce and heat in a frying pan, adding enough oil to cover base of pan. Add chicken pieces in one layer and fry on high heat to brown, then turn and brown other side. Remove pieces of chicken to a heated serving platter as they are done.
- Heat sauce with coconut milk and pour over. Serve with plain boiled rice.
- MJCT 30th June 2002