Recipe: Chicken and Spinach Curry
- Details Category: Chicken Based Curry Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 18:32 Written by ethel :
Saag or Sag Murga
- 1 kg. chicken pieces of your choice
- 200-300 grams spinach leaves, chopped. Frozen spinach can be used
- 200-250 gm or 4 medium onions, peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons, dry methi or fenugreek leaves, soaked in a bowl of cold water
- 1½ inch Ginger
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 red or green chillies (adjust to taste)
- 400 gram tinned or peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons. olive or other cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (shahi jeera). Ordinary cumin (jeera) can be used.
- A large pinch of asafoetida (heeng) powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 level teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- One medium onion, thinly sliced and fried until dark brown
- Chop onions, ginger and garlic finely.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder and let the seeds splutter.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic mix and fry until golden brown.
- Add chicken and stir fry on hot until nicely brown on all sides.
- Add all spices except garam masala, stir fry for 1-2 minutes, so spices give out a nice, roasted aroma.
- Add tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
- Add spinach and mix thoroughly.
- Lift methi leaves out of the water, leaving any dust and grit behind. Add to the dish and mix.
- Put lid on, turn fire on medium-low and cook until tender.
- Check and adjust salt and spices.
- Turn heat off, sprinkle garam masala, mix and leave covered.
- Serve with hot Naan or Chiapatti