Recipe: Chicken Leg Curry
- Details Category: Chicken Based Curry Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 18:52 Written by ethel :
- 2½ lbs. skinned chicken legs, thighs and divided breasts
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ cups vegetable oil
- 1½ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoonfinely minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- ½ cups water, divided
- 1 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander, or parsley
- ½ cups unflavored yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse chicken pieces, pat dry with paper towel and sprinkle with two teaspoons of the salt.
- In large, heavy skillet, heat oil until a drop of water flicked into it sputters instantly.
- Add chicken and fry three to five minutes, turning pieces with a spoon until they are white and sightly firm.
- Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.
- To remaining oil, add onion, garlic and ginger and fry until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add cumin, turmeric, coriander, cayenne pepper, fennel and one tablespoon water.
- Fry for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomatoes, fresh coriander or parsley, yogurt and remaining teaspoon salt.
- Increase heat to moderate and add chicken and any juices that have accumulated on the plate.
- Pour in remaining water and bring to a boil, turning chicken pieces to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon and cardamom, cover tightly and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Arrange on platter and sprinkle with lemon juice.