Recipe: Lamb Saag
- Details Category: Lamb Based Curry Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 17:50 Written by ethel :
- 1 long green chilli
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 kg boneless lamb, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bunch english spinach, de-stalked and finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Remove seeds and white membrane from the chilli and chop finely.
- Set aside with garlic and ginger.
- Heat 2 Tbl oil in frying pan and brown the lamb in batches, drain on paper towel.
- In a dry frying pan combine fenugreek, cumin, mustard, cinnamon and cardamon.
- Cook for 1 minute or until seeds start to pop.
- Set aside. Heat remaining oil and cook onion until softened, 3-4 minutes, then add roasted spices.
- Add garlic, ginger, chilli, tumeric, cumin, chilli powder, coriander and bay leaves to onion.
- Cook for 1 minute, then add lamb and stock.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to low and cook, covered for 1 1/4 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and salt, cook for 5 more minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in coriander and yoghurt, discard cinnamon stick and bay leaves and serve,.