Recipe: INDIAN STYLE LAMB CURRY
- Details Category: Lamb Based Curry Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 17:54 Written by ethel :
4-5 lbs lamb cut into 1" square cubes
6 tbsp oil
1 med onion chopped coarsely
1 whole bulb garlic (approx 15 cloves) minced
3 tsp salt (more if desired, but start with this)
3 tsp tumeric powder (yellow curry powder)
6 tsp Masala powder (allspice)
1 bunch cilantro
fresh chilies (start with little bit, add to desired heat)
3 med potatoes, peeled and quartered
the leaves from 1 stem of curry leaves (optional)
4 cups water
You may have to find an East Indian store and show them this recipe for them to know what you need.
- In a large cooking pot on medium/high heat, add the oil, and heat until oil is hot, add onions, and fry until light brown.
- Stir in tumeric powder, and 30 secs later add the garlic and chilies. Mix for about 1 min, add the curry leaves (make sure no stems), and stir in the lamb.
- Add the Masala powder and salt and mix. Cook covered for about 5 mins.
- Add the water, then cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, and cook another 20 minutes covered.
- Check to see if meat is cooked, potatoes are softened, and taste for salt, and chilies, and sauce has thickened.
- If needed, cook longer until the desired result.
- Garnish with cilantro, serve over rice (basmati is best) and that's it.
- This is the basic recipe, and measurements are also approximate, if the sauce thickens too fast during cooking then add water till the desired result.
- The sauce, when it's finished should be the same thickness as pancake batter.