Recipe: Coronation Chicken
- Details Category: Chicken Based Published on Sunday, 05 August 2012 15:20 Written by Super User :
Serve it with a salad made up of white long grain and wild rice, accompanied by a spicy white wine or dry rosé.
I made a nicer version with sweet peppers, etc.. Not got a recipe for it though.
- 1 free-range chicken
- 1 large orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Olive oil
- For the stock:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup medium dry white wine
- 1 tsp fenugreek (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 finely chopped, small, dried, red chilli pepper (not the seeds)
- For the marinade:
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 4fl oz/115ml milk
- 4fl oz/115ml white wine
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mango chutney
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dried apricot
- For the dressing:
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 7fl oz/200ml crème fraîche
- 3fl oz/100ml mayonnaise
- To serve:
- Fresh coriander
- Salad leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200F/400C/gas mark 6.
- Quarter the oranges, crunch up each bay leaf and cinnamon stick and stuff everything into the chickens, with a little salt and black pepper. Brush the chickens with olive oil and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Roast them for 20 minutes per lb/500g.
- Leave to cool, then strip the meat from the carcases, chop roughly into bite-sized pieces and put in a wide dish.
- Put the skin and bones into a saucepan along with the stock ingredients and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for two hours.
- Strain the stock and skim off the fat.
- Reduce the stock down to about 1 pint/500ml.
- Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade.
- Heat the saffron and turmeric gently in a dry saucepan for a few seconds, then add the milk and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the wine, coriander, mango chutney, sultanas and apricots.
- Simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- Leave this mixture to cool too, then add it to the cool stock.
- Stir the stock/marinade mixture into the chicken.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Heat the curry powder and coriander in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Put the crème fraîche and mayonnaise in a bowl and stir in the spices.
- Fold the dressing into the chicken and marinade, which will have set to a light jelly.
- Bring to room temperature before serving piled on salad leaves and scattered with chopped coriander and paprika.