Recipe: Garlic focaccia bread
- Details Category: Breads Published on Tuesday, 16 October 2012 23:08 Written by ethel :
Serves 4 : Takes 20 minutes to make, 15 minutes to bake, plus proving
Garlic focaccia is a versatile all-purpose flat bread that is always welcome at picnics and with delicious Italian meals. This easy recipe means little effort is needed to wow and delight. With such a strong flavour, ideal on lazy summer evenings, this offering should at least scare off vampires.
- 250g strong plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Maldon sea salt
- o Put the flour into a bowl with the salt, yeast and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 150ml warm water, stir with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to mix it all into a ball.
- o Sprinkle flour over a clean work surface and tip out the dough. Work the dough for 10 minutes to stretch and make smooth.
- o Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil onto the work surface. Sit the dough on top and roll out to a round about 30cm across with a rolling pin. Grease a pizza tray or large baking tray and line with baking paper and put the dough on it.
- o Scatter the garlic over the dough, then sprinkle with the salt. Cover with greased cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes to 1 hour. It will become puffy.
- o Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Discard the cling film and press your finger into the dough about 16 times and pour over a little more olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then tear into pieces to serve.