Recipe: Crusty Bread - 24 hours
- Details Category: Breads Published on Sunday, 02 December 2012 20:35 Written by ethel :
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water and mix until a sticky mixture forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours. Overnight works great.
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 9.
- When the oven has reached temperature place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.
- Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.
- Cover tightly and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.