Recipe: Liver and bacon hotpot
- Details Category: Offal Based Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 10:00 Written by ethel :
Soak the liver in a little milk for about an hour to remove the strong flavour.
Drain and dry it before cooking.
Always use liver on the day it is bought, or within 24 hours if kept well wrapped in a refrigerator.
Do not be tempted to leave the liver in the oven for longer than 30 minutes, overcooked liver is tough and leathery, and the apple slices will disintegrate.
- 500 g (l lb) lamb or pig liver, cut into 16 small slices
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 25 g (1 oz) margarine or butter
- 3 large onions, sliced into thin rings
- 6 bacon rashers, rinds removed
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and sliced – or 2 granny smiths
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pints hot beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- Heat oil and margarine in a large frying-pan and fry the bacon. Remove when cooked,
- Fry the liver slices over moderate heat until brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Lower the heat and fry the onion rings for 5 to 10 minutes. Spread the onions evenly over the base of an ovenproof serving dish.
- Sandwich 1/2 rasher of bacon between 2 apple slices and 2 liver slices. Turn the liver sandwiches on their sides and arrange in rows on top of the onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add a few drops of Worcestershire sauce to the stock. Blend the cornflour to a paste in a small saucepan with a little cold water, then gradually stir in the stock. Bring to the boil stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer gently until thickened. Pour over the liver.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Serve hot, straight from the serving dish.
- I chopped the bacon and mixed bacon, onions, liver and apple together rther than making « sandwiches ».