Recipe: Lamb Kidney
- Details Category: Offal Based Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 10:49 Written by ethel :
Kidneys are rich and nourishing, so a small portion served with mashed potatoes or rice will make a very satisfying meal.
Serves: 4 or 2 greedy people.
- 6 lamb's kidneys
- 10g unsalted butter – no more than 10g and no oil !!!!!!
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 120ml low fat 2% yoghurt
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh tarragon to garnish (optional)
- Remove the transparent membrane covering the kidneys. Cut them in half crossways and remove the core in the middle.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan. Put the kidneys in the pan, cut side down. Cook on a fairly high heat for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 2 minutes, pressing them flat with a spatula as they cook.
- Take care not to overcook the kidneys or they will be dry and rubbery.
- Remove kidneys to a plate.
- Pour the vinegar into the pan and scrape up any meaty bits using the spatula. Cook on a high heat until most of the vinegar has evaporated. Add the mustard and cream and bring almost to boiling point, stirring all the time. Stir in the tarragon and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return the kidneys to the pan, reheat for a few seconds, then serve immediately. Garnish with extra tarragon, if liked.