Recipe: Smoked Haddock with chives and crème fraiche sauce
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Wednesday, 04 July 2012 20:55 Written by Super User :
- 12-14 oz (350-400 g) smoked haddock or smoked cod, skinned, or same weight golden haddock cutlets, skinned
- 2 rounded tablespoons crème fraîche
- 1 heaped tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- ½ oz (10 g) butter, diced
- 5 fl oz (150 ml) whole milk
- freshly milled black pepper
- First place the fish in the frying pan and add a little freshly milled black pepper but no salt.
- Then pour in the milk (it won't cover the fish, but that doesn't matter), bring it up to simmering point and simmer gently, uncovered, for 8-12 minutes if you're using pieces of smoked haddock or cod, or 8 minutes for golden haddock cutlets. You will be able to see quite clearly when they are cooked, as the whole thing will become pale and opaque.
- Now carefully remove the fish to a plate using a fish slice.
- Increase the heat and add the crème fraîche to the pan.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Whisk in the butter and return the fish to the sauce briefly. Scatter in the chives, let it bubble for about 30 seconds and it's ready to serve.