Recipe: Finnan Haddie
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Monday, 09 July 2012 17:54 Written by ethel :
- One pound (500g) smoked haddock
- One large onion, thinly sliced
- 14oz (400ml or one and two thirds of a cup) milk
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1½ teaspoons mustard powder
- 1oz (30g or ¼ stick) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 finely chopped spring onion
- Some finely chopped parsley
- Place the thinly sliced onion in the base of a large pan.
- Cut the smoked haddock into pieces about ½" to an inch (2cm) wide and spread over the onion.
- Mix the milk, pepper and mustard and pour over the fish. Bring to the boil slowly, reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for five minutes. Then uncover and simmer for another five minutes.
- Remove the fish from the pan with a slotted spoon to allow the juices to run off and place in a warm serving dish. Continue to simmer the mixture in the pan for another five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix the warm butter and flour and add to the pan along with the finely chopped spring onion. Stir over a low heat until the mixture comes to a slow boil and thickens slightly. Pour over the fish and serve with some finely chopped parsley.