Recipe: Smoked Haddock Pasties
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 18:00 Written by ethel :
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour. Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
- For the filling
- 2 free-range eggs, hard boiled, roughly chopped
- 250g/9oz smoked haddock, poached, flaked
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped gherkins, from a jar
- 100g/3½oz cheddar, grated
- 100g/3½oz mashed potato
- For the pasties
- 3 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry, cut into six 20cm/8in discs
- 2 free-range egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- green salad, lightly dressed, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- For the filling, in a bowl, gently mix together the hard-boiled egg, haddock, capers, gherkins, cheese and mashed potato.
- For the pasties, place a small spoonful of the filling mixture off-centre on each of the pastry discs, leaving 1cm/½in free all around the edge of the disc.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks and turmeric until well combined.
- Brush the edges of the pastry discs with a little of the egg and turmeric mixture.
- Fold the free half of the pastry disc over the filling and seal the edges of the pastry to form a parcel.
- Press down the edges of the pasty using a fork. Brush the remaining egg wash over the top of the pasties.
- Place the pasties onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- To serve, place one of the smoked haddock pasties into the centre of each serving plate. Serve a portion of the green salad alongside each.