Recipe: Salmon and Smoked Haddock Fish Cakes
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 19:05 Written by ethel :
- 275g (9oz) haddock fillets
- 175g (6oz) salmon
- Milk for poaching the haddock
- 275g (9oz) dry mashed potatoes
- 50g (2oz) melted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped and sweated in butter
- 2 teaspoons anchovy essence
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Flour for coating
- Beaten egg for dripping
- Natural breadcrumbs
- 50g (2oz) butter for frying
- Cook the haddock and salmon in seasoned milk (onion, carrot, bay leaf, peppercorns and 2 cloves) until cooked.
- Remove the fish from the milk and, when cool enough to handle, flake the fish discarding any skin or bone.
- Combine the haddock with the potato, butter, onions and anchovy essence in a mixer with a dough hook, then fold in the salmon, egg, parsley and dill by hand until well combined, do not over-mix.
- Season to taste.
- If the mixture is too dry at this point add some of the haddock poaching milk.
- Divide the mixture up into 4 equal amounts, then shape into patties.
- Dip in the flour, egg and finally breadcrumbs and reshape. Refrigerate them for 2 hours before use.
- Pan-fry in butter for 5 minutes each side – keep warm in the oven.