Recipe: Spicy Scallops
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 21:00 Written by ethel :
- 350 g (12 oz) queen scallops, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2 level tsp (10 ml) Chinese sweet chilli sauce
- 4 oz (100 g) carrots, scrubbed
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dry sherry
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) tomato puree (paste)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) corn oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated fresh root ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped spring onion
- Mix the scallops with the chilli sauce and set aside.
- Cut the carrots and celery into thin matchsticks.
- Mix the sherry, soy sauce and tomato puree with 30 ml (2 tbsp) water.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the carrot and celery and stir-fry over a high heat for 1 minute.
- Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then add the ginger and spring onion and stir-fry briefly over high heat.
- Add the scallops and turn them in the oil to seal them on all sides.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir well.
- Return the vegetables to the pan and stir well.
- Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until the scallops feel firm.
- Serve the dish hot.