Recipe: Thai chilli fish
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Thursday, 14 November 2013 21:06 Written by Super User :
- 6 sea bass fillets, about 140g/5oz each, skin on and scaled
- 3 tbsp heavy olive oil
- 1 large knob of ginger, peeled and shredded into matchsticks
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fat, fresh, bright-red chilli (not birds eye), deseeded and thinly shredded
- 1 bunch spring onion, shredded long-ways - alternatively use thinly sliced onion cut top to tail
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 zesh of fresh lime
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- Season the fish with salt and pepper, then slash the skin 3 times.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Once hot, fry the fish, skin-side down, for 5 mins or until the skin is very crisp and golden.
- The fish will be almost cooked through.
- Turn over, cook for another 30 secs-1 min, then transfer to a serving plate and keep warm. You’ll need to fry the fish in 2 batches.
- Heat the remaining oil, then fry the ginger, garlic and chillies for about 2 mins until golden.
- Take off the heat and toss in the spring onions and lime zest.
- Splash the fish with a little soy sauce and spoon the contents of the pan over them.