Recipe: Cod Potato and Spring Onion Stew
- Details Category: Fish Based Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 18:42 Written by ethel :
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, washed and finely sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium courgettes, halved lengthways
- 1kg/2¼lb potatoes, peeled
- 2 anchovies
- 1 wineglass white wine
- 565ml/1 pint milk
- 565ml/1 pint stock
- 1kg/2¼lb cod fillet, skinned and pinboned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- a bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- juice of ½ a lemon
- In an appropriately sized large pan, slowly fry your onion and leek with around 5 tablespoons of olive oil for 5 minutes until soft and tender.
- With a teaspoon, remove and discard the fluffy tasteless core from the courgettes and grate the rest into the pan.
- Chop the potatoes into rough 2cm/1 inch dice and add to the pan.
- Give everything a good stir and then add the anchovies.
- Turn the heat up and add the white wine.
- Allow to cook down by half before adding your milk and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour until the potatoes are tender.
- At this point add your cod and simmer for a further 15 minutes until the flesh flakes away − feel free to stir and break up the fish, but it's quite nice to leave some big chunks as well.
- Season carefully to taste.
- Divide between your bowls, and serve with a small handful of parsley and spring onion dressed with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
- Try this: Sprinkle a little orange zest over the parsley and spring onion. It really works with the cod.