Recipe: Daal - Chana Daal
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Sunday, 08 July 2012 19:50 Written by ethel :
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper powder (cayenne)
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cook chickpeas in 4 cups of water until tender.
- Roughly mash around a quarter of the chickpeas and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan over moderate heat. Add the cumin seeds and stir until they crackle (about 10 seconds).
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Stir until onion is translucent.
- Add turmeric, coriander, and red pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for about 20 second, being careful not to burn.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 1 minute.
- Add the whole and the mashed chickpeas.
- Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Add salt to taste. Remove from heat. Add limejuice and stir.