Recipe: Palak Paneer - crunchy
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Wednesday, 09 January 2013 19:48 Written by ethel :
For the sauce.
- 1 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 whole red or green chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 250g fresh spinach, washed
- 1 tbsp water
For the paneer.
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 50g/2oz semolina
- 200g/7oz paneer, cut into 1cm cubes
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- small handful coriander leaves, finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the sauce,
- Heat the ghee or oil in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for about three minutes until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, whole chilli and salt. Stir over the heat to release the flavours of the spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer for ten minutes.
Meanwhile, for the paneer,
- place the garam masala and semolina in a large bowl and mix well.
- Place the cubed paneer into the bowl and coat well with the spiced semolina.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of about 0.5cm. When hot, add the coated paneer and fry until crisp and golden.
- Add the washed spinach and two tablespoons of water to the tomato sauce, stir in and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Fold the paneer into the sauce.
- garnish with the coriander and squeeze over the lemon juice.