Recipe: Spiced fried okra
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Thursday, 10 January 2013 17:46 Written by ethel :
- 60g/2oz gram flour (chickpea flour)
- 400g/14oz okra, wiped clean with damp kitchen roll, topped and tailed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tsp chaat masala ('snack spice' - a spice mixture available readymade from Asian grocers)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp dried mango powder (also sold as amchoor, available from Asian grocers)
- Place the gram flour in a shallow bowl. Slice the okra pieces lengthwise into quarters and toss them in the gram flour.
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan to a depth of approximately 2.5cm/1in and heat until a breadcrumb will sizzle gently when placed into the oil. Add the okra to the pan and fry until the okra is crisp and golden-brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the okra with a slotted spoon and place it into a large bowl lined with kitchen roll. Sprinkle over the chaat masala, salt, chilli and dried mango powder and toss well. Serve hot.