Recipe: Coconut Rice
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Friday, 07 February 2014 19:25 Written by Super User :
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1kg bag basmati rice
- 2 x 400ml cans coconut milk
- In a big saucepan or casserole with a lid, gently soften the onions in the oil and butter.
- When really soft, add the rice and cook, stirring, for a couple of mins. Tip in the coconut milk with 2 cans water. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring, then cover, lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 10-15 mins, scraping the bottom regularly with a wooden spoon to stop it sticking. Check the rice: it should be sticky and creamy but not watery, and not quite cooked – still a bit crunchy. Tip into a big bowl that will fit in a microwave and cover with cling film. Chill until ready to serve, for up to a day.
- To serve, poke a hole in the cling film and microwave for 8 mins on High, stirring halfway, until piping hot and cooked through. Add some salt and stir through with a fork to break up the grains.