Recipe: Chickpea, tomato and spinach curry/daal
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Monday, 03 March 2014 19:01 Written by Super User :
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3cm/1¼ in piece ginger, grated
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tsp yeast extract (we used Marmite)
- 4 tbsp red lentils
- 6 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into small florets
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 100g bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds mixed with 1 tbsp chopped cashews
- Put the onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes in a food processor or blender and whizz to a purée.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add the spices, fry for a few secs and add purée and yeast extract.
- Bubble together for 2 mins, then add lentils and coconut cream.
- Cook until lentils are tender, then add the broccoli and cook for 4 mins.
- Stir in chickpeas and spinach, squeeze over lemon and swirl through sesame and cashew mixture.
- Serve with brown rice, if you like.