Recipe: Curry Base – Jamie’s
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 18:07 Written by ethel :
- 100g red lentils
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 70g fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 coriander stalks, chopped
- 1 whole red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 300ml water
- 200ml tinned coconut milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the lentils, then place them in a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, blitz all the vegetables, garlic and ginger in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large saucepan, put it on a low heat, add the spices and fry gently for a couple of minutes.
- Then add the onions, carrots, pepper, garlic, ginger, coriander stalks, the chilli and all the spices and fry gently for 5-10 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, water and lentils and simmer for another 30 minutes before adding the coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and blend until smooth using a hand blender.
- Season to taste. Set aside to cool then use as required.