Recipe: Curry – spinach and lentil
- Details Category: Vegey or Lentil Based Curry and Dahls Published on Monday, 02 July 2012 19:01 Written by ethel :
- 190 g red lentils
- 60 ml tomato puree
- 112 g plain yogurt
- 2 g garam masala
- 1 g ground dried turmeric
- 1 g ground cumin
- 1 g ancho chile powder
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, grated
- 120 g loosely packed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 434 g mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- Rinse lentils and place in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl, stir together tomato puree and yogurt.
- Season with garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and chile powder. Stir until creamy.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and ginger; cook until onion begins to brown.
- Stir in spinach; cook until dark green and wilted. Gradually stir in yogurt mixture. Then mix in tomatoes and cilantro.
- Stir lentils and mixed beans into mixture until well combined. Heat through, about 5 minutes.