Recipe: Peppered Mushroom and Stilton Pie
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Wednesday, 17 October 2012 19:35 Written by ethel :
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour. Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
- For the shortcrust pastry
- 225g/8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- 1 free-range egg, plus extra, beaten, for egg wash
- 1 tbsp milk, to bindTo serve
- Mashed potato
- Green beans
- For the pie filling
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 500g/1lb 2oz shiitake or chestnut mushrooms, trimmed, cleaned and cut in half
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp green peppercorns (from a jar), rinsed and drained
- 250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock
- 200g/7oz Stilton, crumbled
- For the shortcrust pastry, blend the flour, butter and egg in a food processor until the mixture comes together as a dough. If necessary, gradually add a few drops of milk to bind the mixture.
- Turn out the dough mixture onto a clean, lightly floured work surface. Mould it into a ball, then wrap it in cling film. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.For the pie filling, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion, carrot and mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the tomato purée, stir well to combine, then continue to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, green peppercorns and stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 6-8 minutes, or until the volume of liquid has reduced by half.
- Divide the mixture equally among four small ovenproof pie dishes or ramekins. Sprinkle over the crumbled Stilton.
- Divide the chilled dough into four equal balls. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough balls into circles large enough to cover the pie dishes.
- Brush the edge of each pie dish or ramekin with a little egg wash, then place one pastry circle on top of each and press down to secure. Trim any overhanging edges and brush the pastry all over with the remaining egg wash. Make a small hole in the top of each pie with the tip of a knife.
- Bake the pies in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden-brown.
- To serve, place one of the pie dishes or ramekins into the centre of each serving plate. Spoon a portion of mashed potato and green beans alongside.