Recipe: Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Sunday, 28 October 2012 21:02 Written by ethel :
Prep time: 30 min Cook time: 6 min Serves: 6 as a starter, 4 as a main course
- For the pasta dough:
- 200g strong bread flour
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp milk, plus extra for moisteningFor the spinach filling:
- 400g spinach leaves, or Swiss chard
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- black pepper
- For the sauce:
- 50g butter
- 4 sage leaves, shredded
- 50g parmesan, freshly grated
- First make the pasta dough. Put the flour and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Make a dough adding milk to help bind it together. The dough should be elastic and not sticky.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and then place in a bowl covered with cling film for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.
- Rinse the chard or spinach and put in a saucepan. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Drain the spinach, squeeze all the water out and chop finely.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the chopped spinach, ricotta and egg. Season with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Put the pasta dough on a lightly floured surface and roll as finely and evenly as possible (use a pasta machine if you have one). Roll into strips about 4 inches wide.
- Shape small balls of the spinach filling and place them on the pasta strips about 5cm apart.
- Moisten the edges with milk and cover with another strip of pasta. Press the pasta sheets together around the filling, sealing firmly. Cut into ravioli using a pastry wheel or sharp knife.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the ravioli and cook for 4-6 minutes until 'al dente'. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan melt the butter and add the sage leaves. Toss the ravioli with the sage butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.