Recipe: Carbonara - basic sauce
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Saturday, 01 December 2012 19:36 Written by ethel :
A basic carbonara sauce; add chicken or other meats and vegetables as desired.
- 540 g pasta
- 25 g butter
- 150 g gammon or thick bacon (cut up in pieces)
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves (peeled and crushed)
- 140 ml creme fraiche (or double cream)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 large eggs (beaten) or just the yolks
- 1 handful parsley (chopped)
- 50 g hard cheese; gruyère, cheddar, edam, yarlsberg, etc. (grated)
- 50g parmesan
- black pepper (ground)
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, into a non-stick frying pan add the butter, gammon and garlic.
- Stir fry for a few minutes then add crème fraiche and English mustard and season well.
- Take off the heat and add the beaten eggs. Stir well to stop the eggs turning into scrambled eggs.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan.
- Add the egg creme fraiche mixture and quickly coat the pasta.
- Serve immediately, with a sprinkling of black pepper, parsley and some grated parmesan.