Recipe: Potatoes Dauphinois
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Tuesday, 11 December 2012 17:03 Written by ethel :
- 1 lb (450 g) good-quality potatoes (King Edward or Desirée)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 5 fl oz (150 ml) double cream
- 5 fl oz (150 ml) milk
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Some grated gruyere cheese
- 1 oz (25 g) butter
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
- First, peel the potatoes and slice them very, very thinly (a wooden mandolin is excellent for this operation, if you have one), then plunge the potato slices into a bowl of cold water and swill them round and round to get rid of some of the starch.
- Now dry them very thoroughly in a clean tea cloth.
- Then in the gratin dish arrange a layer of potato slices, a sprinkling of crushed garlic, gruyere cheese, pepper and salt and then another layer of potatoes, cheese and seasoning.
- Now mix the cream and milk together, pour it over the potatoes, sprinkle with a little freshly grated nutmeg and grated cheese, then add the butter in flecks over the surface.
- Bake on the highest shelf in the oven for 1½ hours.