Recipe: Vegey Shepherd Pie
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 20:22 Written by Super User :
FOR THE LENTIL SAUCE
- 25g butter
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 carrots , diced
- 1/2 head of celery , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 100g pack chestnut mushrooms , sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 200g dried green lentils
- 75ml red wine
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1kg floury potatoes , such as King Edwards
- 50g butter
- 50ml milk
- 25g cheddar , grated
- To make the sauce, heat the butter in a pan, then gently fry the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 15 mins until soft and golden.
- Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms and the tomato purée, then cook for 4 mins more.
- Stir in the herbs, then add the lentils.
- Pour the wine and stock into the pan - it's important that you do not season with salt at this stage.
- Simmer for 40-50 mins until the lentils are very soft.
- Now season to taste and take off heat.
- While the lentils are cooking, tip the potatoes into a pan of water, then boil for about 15 mins until tender. Drain well, mash with the butter and milk, then season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the pies, divide the lentil mixture between all the dishes that you are using, then top with mash.
- Scatter the cheese over.
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5, then bake for 30 mins until the topping is golden.