Recipe: Spinach and Ricotta Filo Pie
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Tuesday, 05 March 2013 18:15 Written by Super User :
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled and crushed
- 250g young spinach
- 1 egg
- 250g ricotta , drained (or vegetarian alternative)
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 100g feta cheese (or vegetarian alternative)
- 4 sheets filo pastry (each roughly 38cm x 30cm)
- Heat a spray of oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Tip into a sieve and press to remove as much excess liquid as possible. Cool.
- Beat the egg with the ricotta and nutmeg and season.
- Stir in the feta with the spinach and onion.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Spray a 20cm loose-based cake tin with a little oil. Line with the filo sheets, leaving excess pastry overhanging and brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Spoon the cheese and spinach mixture into the tin. Bring the pastry up and over the top of the pie. Brush generously with melted butter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve warm or cold.