Recipe: Stuffed Courgettes and Patty Pans
- Details Category: Vegey Meals Published on Thursday, 26 September 2013 20:21 Written by Super User :
Serves : 4
- 2 courgettes, ends trimmed
- 1 lot of patty pans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 or 4 thick sausages, skins removed
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 2 teaspoons dried red chilli flakes
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Handfuls of sliced runner beans
- 1 (400g) tin diced tomatoes, drained or freshly picked from the greenhouse
- 25g breadcrumbs
- 50g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Cut a 7mm thick slice along the length of each courgette. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving a wall all around the courgette. Discard or save the flesh for another use.
- Chop up the long slices of courgette.
- Remove the top of the patty pans, chop the lids and add to the chopped courgette. Clean out the patty pans ready for stuffing.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and cook the sausage and chopped bacon, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the sausage has begun to brown and is mixed with the bacon, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper chilli flakes, and season with salt and black pepper.
- Steam or boil the runner beans until almost cooked.
- Stir in the chopped courgette, runner beans, onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the sausage mixture into a bowl and stir in the tomatoes, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil until the stuffing is thoroughly combined.
- Lightly stuff the squash boats with the stuffing, place the squash into a baking dish and cover with grated cheddar and finally a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Bake until thoroughly heated through and beginning to brown on top, about 30 minutes.